Hello guys. Happy Harmattan!
The harmattan season that most of us (mostly Nigerians) were looking for, is now upon us. All thanks to those that prayed it down. -____-
Anyways, when life gives you lemons, you still have to make lemonade…. But I was quite concerned that many of you are still uninformed about some secrets to beating the harmattan, so I put together this fun (and real) list on how to deal with the harmattan seasons, like a ninja. Hi-ya!
FUN LIST HERE!
- If you must be on a motorcycle this season (all you Lagosians), then cover your nose with a nose mask, damp scarf or handkerchief.
- Send your alcohol-based facial cleansers on holiday. Use only mild cleansers and toners as those that contain alcohol will only dry out the moisture from your skin. And ladies, you know, an incredibly dry face is just the beginning of terrible makeup.
- Layer, layer, layer. Dress warmly by wearing clothes with lots of layers. Layering work better than wearing just one really thick item (like cardigan) because air is trapped between the layers, thereby keeping you warm.
- Drip and drop. Do not completely dry your skin after shower, use body oil (or baby oil) to retain moisture on your skin after bathing.
- When washing your hair, don’t dry the hair completely, so as to retain some moisture in hair.
- Get your hair wet. Apply hair oil, pink oils, hair sprays, lotions or creams to hair daily. The quantity you depending on your hair type and severity of the harmattan that day.
- Eat hot soup. It does not only warm you up, but fills your stomach. Hot beverage drinks are also good at warming you up, but they don’t do quite a good job of filling your stomach J. Eating hot food also ensures that bacteria and viruses do not thrive in your belly.
- Invest in a lip balm. Yes, even you, guys. Keep a lip balm in your pocket, car and handbag/ purse for constant applications to keep chapped, dry lips at bay. Unless you want to tell stories that touch, through dry, cracked, and bleeding lips. Or you’re just plain supernatural.
- Warmly accessorize. Hats, scarves, gloves and appropriate footwear are now in season!
- H20 is King. Do not forget to stay hydrated by drinking a lot of water. In this season, water no get enemy!
Update: I just found out the way to avoid waking up with a dry and scratchy throat this season. Rub vaseline on your lips before you sleep!
With these few points of mine, you can now battle the harmattan like a ninja!